Departure: Sat. Mar. 12, 3:45am. Picked up our students and headed to San José to catch TicaBus to Nicaragua. Freezing cold air conditioned ride, with amazingly annoying music and violent movies narrating our attempts to sleep. We crossed the border around 11:30 and were in Managua by 3:00pm.
| Border crossing on TicaBus! |
| Welcome to Nicaragua! |
| Windmills in Nicaragua |
During the week, we stayed at Villa Esperanza, a beautiful refuge and ministry to young at-risk girls who have moved there from a nearby garbage city, La Chureca (literally, a settlement in the local garbage dump). This is such an amazing ministry. (http://de-de.facebook.com/villaesperanza?sk=info or http://www.forwardedge.org/childsponsorship/ourprogram.shtml) Really, please check it out or ask me more about it! Hammocks, gorgeous lawns, great cabinas with nice bathrooms and a large, open-air comedor (dining hall). The best part of Villa Esperanza at this time of year is the ripe mangoes that thud on the aluminum rooftops as they fall from the trees overhead!
![]() |
| The comedor. (Photo credit: Bree Riddle) |
![]() |
| Hammocks in front of the cabins. (Photo credit: Aaron Farance) |
![]() |
| Mango trees (and freshly fallen fruit!) (Photo credit: Heather Kennison) |
![]() |
| Looking towards the office and front landscaping of the Villa. (Photo credit: Aaron Farance) |
Sunday morning, we attended two misas (masses) in comunidades de base (base community churches), which followed Catholic liturgy, but the services manifested themselves very differently in atmosphere. It was very interesting to observe the different styles, and to participate in conversation and Bible study-esque conversations with the other congregation members.
| During one of the base services, an elderly woman grabbed one of the men in the congregation and started dancing with him! SO precious! |
Monday we went to La Chureca, the dump city, with a Pastor from the area, named Ramón, and his wife Miriam, who led us through the city and introduced us to a number of people (some of the 1,250 families who inhabit the area). I interpreted the experience for our group, which was quite taxing for most (mentally and emotionally draining). Though only one student brought her camera in to photograph the conditions of La Chureca for the memory of the collective group, again, this is an experience wherein the mental pictures will endure in our minds for much time to come. (Photo credit: Britta Howard)
![]() |
| An example of some of the homes in La Chureca. |
![]() |
| Many of the families have received micro loans to finance family businesses, such as pig raising. |
![]() |
| Looking out over some of the homes in La Chureca. |
![]() |
| Here I am walking behind Miriam. She and her husband Ramón pastor La Chureca and the surrounding area through their church and outreach ministry. |
![]() |
| This trash along the roadside at the entrance of La Chureca is a part of a sorting project that is a small business, the result of one of the micro-loans that are being granted. |
That afternoon, we visited Centro Nehemías (Nehemiah Center), where Freddy works. I interpreted for a talk that was delivered about the work that this nonprofit cooperative (it's a center where eight or nine nonprofit organizations all cohabitate together, benefitting financially from their cooperation and networking: http://www.nehemiahcenter.net/English/index.asp).
![]() |
| This is the gazebo inside the center courtyard area of the Centro Nehemías. |
Tuesday was Día de la Mujer (Women's Day). There was much talk about machísmo and women's rights throughout the week, in part attributed to the sentido (feeling/sentiment) of Día de la Mujer that seemed to be in the air. We went to Volcán Masaya in the morning (a steaming, sulfrus volcano where it was VERY windy, but with a wonderful view!). During the Samoza dicatatorship, political prisoners were dropped from helicopter down into the inner core of the earth!
| Alexandria (one of our students), me, and Emily (fellow 24/7) up at the lookout with the abyss of the volcano behind and below us. |
| From another lookout point (appropriately named "Wind's Lookout"), you can see the cross lookout (from where the above photo was taken). The volcano pit is down and to the left. |
| In honor of Día de la Mujer that week, I took this photo of a sign found in an Italian restaurant in Matagalpa. It translates, "Careful! Machísmo kills" |
Then we went to Masaya's artisan market in the afternoon, where I was able to purchase an awesome bohemian bag and a new fanny pack! Good investments in local vendors and Central American products, I'd say (we ask where products come from, who made them, etc. in the interest of supporting local with our purchases).
Our visit to the U.S. Embassy in Managua happened during the afternoon. A lively panel of men--representing political, economic, and consular services--shared and interacted with our group.
That evening after dinner back at Villa Esperanza, we interacted with the Villa Esperanza girls during a youth group gathering that the Forward Edge team, comprised of college students from Tennessee, was leading (Forward Edge is the short-term mission organization that brings teams down to work with the Villa Esperanza ministry). We danced, sang, listened to a testimony by one of the Tennessee girls, and shared a time of prayer. What a beautiful time that night was!
| In the open-aire comedor area, starting youth group for the night. |
Wednesday, we headed out of Managua very early for a two-day trip to Matagalpa (see the starred location on the map below). The purpose of the trip was to learn about an organization called PAC (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Partido-Acción-Ciudadana-PAC-Nicaragua/113517158710880?sk=info). PAC stands for Partido Acción Ciudadana (the Community Action Party), which is a non-profit organization that works to represent, support, encourage and help small growers to develop their means of income and thus support local communities. It was about a three-hour bus ride.
We explored Matagalpa for an hour, got some refreshing ice cream (already at 9-10am it was a warm 80ºF outside), sat around and people watched on the church steps, and then headed out up further north through Jinotega to the campo (countryside).
| Matagalpa |
![]() |
| Downtown Matagalpa; the hills are Seattle or San Francisco-esque, only with shoddier (or nonexistent) roads. |
| Some of the landscape on our way further north from Matagalpa to the campo in San Rafael Norte (pop. ~1,000). |
| The hotel where we had lunch in San Rafael Norte. |
| Fording the river. |
![]() |
| Fresh coffee berries, in different levels of their (cáscaras) shells. (Photo credit: Heather Kennison) |
![]() |
| Coffee grower and head of this local co-op organization, Don Daniel, explains to us their cafetal's apparatus in processing the harvested coffee beans. (Photo credit: Bree Riddle) |
![]() |
| A gallina (hen) pecks at the drying coffee beans. (Photo credit: Bree Riddle) |
![]() |
| José, age 12, shows us how malanga (taro) is harvested in the campo. |
![]() |
| José proceeds to groom the malanga once it's been taken from the field. |
![]() |
| At the "Hostal La Buena Onda" there was this cute bunny rabbit hanging out! (Photo credit: Heather Kennison) |
Thursday afternoon, we made it back to the Villa in Managua for an afternoon of rest and a light, late-afternoon picnic on the lawn there before a late-evening dinner and then heading out into Managua to go to a concert by the hermanos Mejía Godoy, a group of family musicians that compose and play traditional Nicaraguan folkloric music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Mej%C3%ADa_Godoy).
Friday was our last day. We started the morning hearing a talk from a lady who worked at an HIV/AIDS clinic in Managua. She shared her own moving story about her journey as an HIV-positive mother. Then we went to the historic part of Managua. There really is no "downtown" or city center in Managua since the 1972 earthquake. Within the Plaza de la Revolución, we toured the Museum of Culture (the old governmental office building) heard the Minister of Culture speak, and after lunch at the Plaza Inter mall, we heard from the Minister of Music. We spent the rest of the afternoon touring some of the historic monuments: the Old Cathedral, the tomb of Carlos Fonseca (founder of the ruling political party, the FSLN), the remarkable Monumento a la Paz (Monument for Peace) that is located in a very dangerous part of town (we had a close encounter with a gang as we were boarding our bus), and then the Sandino Monument that sits on the hill overlooking Managua and the lake. (Read more of an overview on historic Managua and some of the sites we saw there on the following Wikipedia page; it's really quite interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managua#Plaza_de_la_Revoluci.C3.B3n)
Friday night for dinner and a closing time with Freddy, Raquel and Eli, and our driver Don Salvador, we went to a pupusería (a local restaurant that serves the famous El Salvadorian bean, cheese, and meat (if you choose) tortillas with salsa chilero on top).
![]() |
| Pupusas (Photo credit: Alexandria Roullier) |
| On the TicaBus (like a Greyhound busline) back to Costa Rica. |
Ask me about any of these events and certain parts of the trip if you want; I've only just touched on some of the topics; it really was a fantastic trip for the students as well as for myself. In this experience and my capacity as a CRC Volunteer, I am so grateful that I get to see some things I'd never experienced before, as well as things I've seen before, learning with the students, from their questions, and being amazed as I watch them learn for themselves. I'm so proud of them, as I watch them struggle and go through asking the hard questions and figuring out things for themselves as they experience parts of Central America that I have been touched by in my past as well. It makes me nostalgic for the experiences I've had before, as well as grateful that I've learned from them and don't have to go through the struggle again. I watch the students learn. (Though I continue to be confronted with tough issues over and over again, having to face poverty, corruption, and humanity in situations of deprivation and figure out how I feel/what I think about it all.) It's really a wonderful capacity to serve in, leading groups and interpreting for talks on topics that I'm already familiar with (or not, for that matter. I'm still learning and questioning a lot for myself!). I just love the process of traveling and discovering new places, people, their stories, their places of work and livelihood, learning about ways of life and practices that make me a more informed consumer and citizen of this globalized world, and sharing that joy with these students and others I am blessed to travel through life with.

























Thank you for sharing. The photos from the garbage settlement breaks my heart. I'm happy you guys were exposed to that though. I hope it touched the hearts of others as much as it did you. We'll talk soon as you have already assumed that I would really love to hear more of your heart regarding certain aspects of your trip dealing with poverty.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Hi Lara,
ReplyDeleteI am really impressed with your blog, and your summary of your trip. It reminds me of my time in Paraguay, and of a side trip I took into Brazil, to see the favelas there (places like the garbage dump encampment you write about here). When you next visit we'll sit and chat. I would really love that. I am proud of you, Lara. Stay safe. All my love, Kathryn