Friday, March 4, 2011

Nicaragua-bound

Well, tomorrow morning, before the light of day (4am), we'll be leaving the CRC and headed off on a 10-hour bus trip to arrive in Managua, Nicaragua. Emily and I will be leading our 20 students, as well as Prof. Jenni Holsinger and her family (husband Adam and two boys Ravi, 7, and Justin, 3). So in total, we are a group of 26 people. We'll have a jam-packed week of long days filled with many speakers, visits to places around Managua and further north to Matagalpa, and even a concert.
We'll be staying in the capital, Managua for most of the week,
and taking a 2-day trip to Matagalpa during the week.
I've got some specific prayer requests for this trip, if you could keep them on your heart, mind, and lips throughout the next week:
  1. Safe travel!
    On the way there: Saturday, Mar. 5, 4:00AM departure from the CRC, to San José to catch the TicaBus at 6:00AM, which will take us over the CR-Nica border and enter Managua around 4:00PMish. Long day of travel. (Especially for the Holsinger-Yoder clan with two young boys.)
    The return: Saturday, Mar. 12, 6:00AM departure on TicaBus, which will take us back into CR, with and ETA in San José around 4:00PMish, and then getting students back to their host families from there.
  2. Good health; Nicaraguan water generally isn't potable, and parasites from food are not a rarity. (Good decision-making concerning food and beverages!) Also, it will be significantly warmer and more humid in Nicaragua than it is here at the CRC. Let us avoid dehydration/heat exhaustion!
  3. I will be translating for most of the trip (speakers, tours, visits to co-ops, etc.), with back up from Emily. I'm hoping for clarity of mind, and that the English-Spanish translation will flow with ease! My translation skills are not terrrrrribly well practiced at this point, even though I'm certified, so I am a tad nervous about just getting into the groove of the process and being an effective translator (just because I understand Spanish and can speak it decently doesn't make me an automatic translator; it is an acquired skill that requires much practice!).
  4. That financial details may be worked out and run smoothly (the exchange of USD-Cordoba), keeping in mind that paying for meals, boarding, entrance fees, etc. for large groups can sometimes be complicated or tricky.
  5. Positive energy! (I've found in the last week especially that spiritual health leads to  emotional health, which affects my physical health.) May be be joyful travelers--sticky, sweaty, smelly, and tired, but nevertheless JOYFUL!
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers! Oh, and I've posted a couple links about Nicaragua on my USEFUL LINKS section to the right there, if you'd like to check out weather/maps/Cordoba:USD exchange rates, etc. (it's about 22C to $1 right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment