Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Farewell, (honors) freshmen friends

A little bleary-eyed (both from lack of sleep and perhaps a "saline mist" as well), I watch dawn break on our mountain top. It is 5:30am and we just sent off to the airport our first shuttle runs of our JanTerm contingent: 23 of our 31 JTerm Honors Freshmen students, Prof. Rick Hornor, and Prof. Josh Orozco and his family. (We'll be taking the remaining 8 students on the final shuttle run in three hours. They are currently taking advantage of these last couple hours of sleep.) Like so many of our early mornings we all shared over the last three weeks, the birds are singing happily, and the mist rolls over our green hills and little lakes. But the mist doesn't clear from our eyes yet. We're already missing these wonderful people!
Our Jan Term family, the first full-capacity group at the CRC: 
Honors Freshmen students, Rick Hornor, the Orozco familia,
Lindy & Dinorah Scott, and 24/7s (not pictured: our beloved Rose)
It's been a good month, Jan Term family! Filled with lots of laughter, music, Community Cookie nights, fun (and sweaty and long and oftentimes bumpy) trips, intellectual discussions abound, plenty of shenanigans, plotting, and general sneakiness (might I reference elbow licking... including that of our Academic Dean/University VP Michael LeRoy!), and many, many other memories to be cherished. Thanks to the wonderful faculty (Rick and Josh, and of course Lindy and Dinorah Scott and my other 24/7 counterparts Emily and Kristina) for all their hard work, dedication, and energy! Josh and Mandy- we will miss Micah and Mateo's giggles and maybe even their random outbursts of tears (I don't think I'll miss the 3:30am and 4:30am and 5:30am crying wake ups on some mornings, however!). But I sure will miss repeatedly "going on treasure hunts" and "bumping up and down on a little red wagon" with Micah. Hopefully Jenni and Adam's boys will enjoy such games. Good thing the Holsinger fam arrives on Thursday; I'm not sure I could live without smiling little children running around Whitworth South! And we're grateful to have one of our students staying on with us for the spring semester. Alexandria, we're so happy you're here! Gee, transitions sure can be tough. But the memories are good, and the relationships endure.

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near." ~Hebrews 10:24-25 (New Living Translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment