- My capacities as a “24/7” Whitworth staff volunteering--with benefits, of course--at the Costa Rica Center ("Whitworth South") can be ambiguous because I (and my counterpart coworkers) do a bit of everything. My official job title is CRC Volunteer, because it is only a stipend position, with room, board, and transportation covered by the program for which I volunteer (this is similar to AmeriCorps programs). Basically, we (there are three of us: Emily, Kristina, or “Bean,” and I) are on duty 24/7 on a variety of mixed tasks relating to coordinating student life at the CRC, and get our transportation, room, and board paid for, plus a bit of a stipend. Generally, I act as an RD/TA/Student Life Coordinator/academic planner for excursions and field trips… It really is all-encompassing of whatever needs to be done at the CRC. . I love working in intercultural relations, communications, spending time with students and staff members.
- This is a wonderful transitional job between undergrad university studies and whatever comes next, in which I may apply my recently acquired degrees in my designated fields of interest—Spanish, Cross-Cultural Studies, Communications, and a bit of ESL work—as well as gain wonderful experience working abroad.
- I love working in intercultural relations, communications, spending time with students and staff members, acting as an RD, TA, Student Life Coordinator, and academic planner at various times, we organize and plan details for excursions and field trips… and basically just the general variety of tasks that are encompassed in our unspecified job description. It really is all-encompassing of whatever needs to be done at the CRC. I greatly enjoy the variety in my tasks!
- Between the three of us 24/7s, Lindy (Director of the CRC) and Dinorah (professor/asst. director) Scott, and the Sodexo hired staff members (kitchen staff, maintenance workers, gardener, and secretary), and security guards, we have a full team of workers to try and figure out how to run a successful academic program, as well as to keep logistical things running around the campus itself.
- Because the CRC is a new endeavor for Whitworth and everything is being created from scratch, contacts are being established, and we are learning how best to operate this new academic center in a foreign country, it is all an adventure that requires much flexibility, and almost constant work. However, I love it!
- Our center’s intention is to provide a convenient location for Whitworth students to study abroad, as well as other universities and groups to use the premises for meeting purposes. This month, I start my journey as a 24/7 working with a group of 31 Jan Term freshmen—the first and only off-campus Jan Term program for Whitworth freshmen to participate—and two professors, Dr. Rick Hornor (Director/Head of the Theatre Dept.) and Dr. Joshue Orozco (Philosophy prof). Josh brought his wife and 3 and 1-year-old boys with him for this month.
- In the months to come, we will be greeting and involved in the spring semester students (there are ~20 of them).
I have my undergraduate degrees from Whitworth University- a B.A. in Spanish and a B.A. in Cross-Cultural Studies, with minor focuses in Speech Communications and Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL/ELL). I now turn the page and embark on the journey of life after undergrad studies...
Saturday, January 8, 2011
24/7 Job Description
I realized that my references to the Costa Rica Center (CRC) have been rather ambiguous, and thus I should explain the nature of my position, at least to the extent that I understand it at this point in time. Things are ever-evolving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment