7:30am to 1:30pm, I was waiting in Heredia, receiving various updates from time to time. They thought it'd only take about two hours, tops. Which isn't worth taking the hour-long bus ride back up to campus, only to have to turn around and come back. So I thought I'd wait, as I had stuff to keep me occupied while I waited... for the first three hours, that was. I got hit on repeatedly as I sat in Parque Central (Mel, you can relate, right?)--I was asked by one man to take off my sunglasses so that he could see the color of my eyes. I have no idea why I obliged. Another man sang me a traditional Costa Rican love ballad, which he creatively substituted MY name, Lara, instead of "dama" (dame/lady) at various parts. This was the man who started touching my rings and telling me they were so pretty. And why was it that I did not have a Tico novio (Costa Rican boyfriend) after living here for so long. And why was my Spanish so good? And why didn't my family live in Costa Rica, and why didn't I want to go back to the States, and, and, and... at 8:30 I excused myself to go meet my "colleague" at some undesignated location, looking at my phone and actually wishing for once that it would ring.
After the first hour, I changed parks, in order to try to get some of my work done in peace. There, the Jehovah's Witnesses approached me, gave me a pamphlet, and we chatted for a while. I wished on multiple occasions that Bean had been there to save me, as we oftentimes had to play wing-girl and think up excuses to help the other get out of sticky situations. Although, as I was recounting some of my encounters, Lindy was quick to comment, "But Lara, you've lived/interacted with Latin America for how long now? Don't you know how to bat your eyelashes and get out of these predicaments by now?" I think that batting my eyelashes could only make situations like these worse, but I confessed that, yes, I am capable of saving myself... to which Lindy replied something about, "Well then, you must just like the flattery--which is an indication of true assimilation into the culture..." ...of machismo? I'm not so sure about that!
I moved to the National University, where I used to take classes as a student. Couldn't connect to wifi. They're on vacations right now too. So I sat and read a newspaper. Scorched my forehead. Called the car place. One more hour. Not enough time to go back still. This was a fiasco that was taking all morning, and I had lists of things waiting for me! Never assume car repairs will just take a couple hours, no matter what anyone tells you. Just leave and come back later in the day when you can!
So I went to Cosechas, then got myself one last falafel sandwich wrap at my fave little Persian food restaurant, and entertained myself talking to the restaurant owner for an hour. It was nearly noon by then. Car place called to say 12:30. Relocated to another park (I was getting a lot of good exercise, and a lot of sun, apparently. Even though I did have SPF on the face, I am a bit red today! There, I played on my iPod (logic puzzles, to increase the weaker side of my brain, of course), while a pile of old sausage in a bag was being dissected by flies and ants just a few meters away from my park bench. Gross.
Finally, I arrived at the AutoPits taller (auto shop), at 12:30, where one of the mechanics explained and showed me why our brake pads go so quickly, and since it was in the 30-day guarantee, he replaced them with a better brand for free. We'll see how long these ones last! Around 1:15pm, I was driving out of the shop.
Back on campus after running some errands, I did some office work until the power went out. Good old Costa Rican electricity; you can always rely on awesome timing to cut your work day short! Dinner in the dark.
| Got my coaster as a souvenir! |
| Trava Restaurante Old Parr bar signs that haven't changed since before I moved back to CR nearly two years ago. |
Yep, I can totally picture the scene in Parque Central... kick Lindy in the shin for me about that eyelash comment!
ReplyDelete