Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Goodbyes are hard.

I feel like the last week has been just the beginning of the goodbyes. I previously talked about "lasts," but now as people are leaving, going their separate ways (as often happens around these parts, so that is nothing new), I am struck with a sense of reminiscing and a tinge of sadness for what is happening...

My dear colleague, roommate, friend/sister leaves before dawn tomorrow. Bean has been packing up her stuff, and the walls are bare. I dread having to live the next three weeks of craziness without her, and then having to think about going through the goodbye process in my own final days here in CR.

This last week has been filled with eventfulness: goodbye lunches, cafecitos, dinners, brunch, parties, a half dozen airport runs, welcoming new groups of students, planning and more planning, orientations, taking students to host families and internships, and planning... did I mention more planning? There is a lot of productivity going on around here, as more student groups arrive and we're busy trying to tie up loose ends while still charging full speed ahead with welcoming new groups and catching up with people who are coming back to the CRC, as well as saying goodbyes. It's a strange, eventful, transitionary time.

Blessings: in all this reminiscing/trying to make sense of changes and transitions, I've found much light and comfort in new beginnings. Andrew, a friend from college, taking his summer break from teaching in Texas with Teach for America, is down here volunteering at the CRC for a couple months, and he is a great help and support, not to mention wonderful company. I am constantly reminded of the beauty of my natural surroundings, and awed by the love and compassion shown by the people who surround me.

Oh, transitions... life is just a fusion of them, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment