Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Post-students December, fin del año 2011

Bean, me, and Sara... on the swings at the Taco Bar in Jacó,
after a day playing in  the rain on the beach at Playa Hermosa.
Victoria and me in San José hanging out one weekend.
Where did we leave off back in December? The students went home around the 10th. One stuck around for several more days (our Wheaton student, Sara). Bean and I took her to the beach. We had a day of rest and then sent Bean off on the 12th. Travis, Dinorah, Lindy, and I stuck around the CRC and worked for the rest of the week, and into the next. I did get to hang out with one of my friends, Victoria, in the San José area for a weekend, and upon returning to the mountain, my CRC colleagues and I enjoyed a very nice dinner with some neighbors that Sunday night.


But it was all business the following, last week of work for 2011. Some cool things were accomplished around campus: the paving (read: patching) of our callecito (little road) that comes up to the CRC's front gate, some blackout blinds in the classroom, and blinds in our office (which I do believe I made a prior blogpost about), and some work was done with the water heating system (a mix between solar energy/gas) to figure out how to get hot showers when there was no sun for literally a week--which meant no solar heating. We also got new solar panels installed on the rooftop of the main building and apartments! Yay!


I sent off the three of my remaining colleagues on the night/in the early morning hours of the 21st/22nd. And then continued to work alone in the office for almost a straight 13 hours, only breaking for lunch, preparing things to be all ready to go when Jan Term would blow in with the strong mountain winds. I planned not to do any work after the 23rd, so all the packets and organized folders for orientation and receiving the group of 9 Health Science students (and 35 Honors Freshmen) and their profs would be locked in an office drawer... out of sight, out of mind, hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment