Wednesday, January 11, 2012

¡Feliz año nuevo!

In order to provide a recap of the holidays and what came to pass during vacay visitations and such, I have posted a series of blog entries to make reading the review of the past few weeks a bit more manageable, since there were many adventures to be had and shared. So take a look at the previous 5 entries for photos and stories of my latter half of December!

Jan Term thus far has been a whirlwind of planning, organizing, receiving groups, giving orientation, sending students off with host families, and more planning! Without going into too much detail…

My nine health science students arrived on the afternoon/late night the day Alex left (Tues. 3), followed by orientating them all of the next day and promptly farming them out to host families where they’ll be for the next month… while simultaneously the 35 Jan Term Honors Freshmen flew in. More airport runs. (I personally conducted five airport runs in a matter of 36 hours. Whew!

While waiting for students during their "plunge" to scavenger hunt around San Rafael,
Health Sciences prof Melinda and I waited in the Parque Central with the niños.

Setting up internships, finalizing details, leading my group of students on “plunges” around San Rafa, Heredia, and the greater San José area on Thursday and Friday has been a blast, but also exhausting. Long, hot days, with much exercise, much time on bus, and not much sleep!
Part of our duties as 24/7s this last weekend's Sunday night dinner,
upon the return of the JanTerm Honors freshmen...
Stuff Loquito's backseat full of 10 Price Smart (Costco) pizzas!

Health Sciences Prof/Trainer Melinda Larson loves her cangrejo (crab)
in her sopa de mariscos/pescado (seafood soup!)
I took the Health Sciences group to William's soda Donde Pancho on Friday
and Monday, since it is conveniently located near the classroom where
they attend their medical Spanish classes in the afternoon.
Oh my goodness gracious how I needed this last weekend once it came! Sleep, sleep, sleep! 10-11 hours a night! Also enjoyed the “summer” weather that has been long-awaited and finally arrived on campus (still with the strong, constant, gusty winds—but at least sunny now!). Relaxing couple of days after dropping off freshmen for their weekend homestay experiences. We cooked yummy food, also went out for a staff dinner, and read books/caught up on emails and personal communication a bit.
We have celebrated many arco irises (rainbows)
on campus already during this new year!
And every night brings a slightly different version of a stunning sunset
down the mountainside (that's the almost-full moon or Jupiter up top there...
I can't remember which was lower on the horizon at the time I snapped the photo).
Despite the sun, the winds have continued to blow, making for chilly days indoors.
I regularly carry hand warmers/run to the microwave to heat up these blue fabric
ones that my Tía Kati made for me a year ago. 
See?? Another gorgeous arco iris.
The sunlight was so beautiful that afternoon.
And THIS is the other end of the arco iris in the above photo. I wish my iPod
camera could have shot that panoramic that day, as the entire arch was brilliant.
Another sunset, reflecting off the clouds up the mountain,
over one of our lagunas on campus.
View from Lindy & Dinorah's apartment. 
That same day, late afternoon, the view of the clouds and back hills
over one of our lagunas on campus, as seen from Lindy & Dinorah's apartment.
This week has begun, and I’ve been running around to internship worksites for the health science students, who are getting settled into a routine of classes and internships (at a variety of sites such as the Heredia fútbol Club Sport physical therapy&training clinic, the oldest hospital in Latin America, Clinica Biblica, a pharmacy, and various other physical therapy-related sites).

At home at the CRC, we have 35 screaming, excited, energetic freshmen running around! You think I'm being facetious. No. Literally. So bedtime is late, and rising is early. This month will fly by with all the work going on and to be done!

On the upside of the workload, some of the things I get to plan for are super enjoyable, as I’m planning for this weekend’s trip to Punta Mona! Yay! A three-day weekend to one of my fave places on earth! Cannot wait! (See previous entries about Punta Mona adventures; I seriously love this community! For further information about permaculture and what Punta Mona is about, take a look here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment