Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vacay in a nutshell

Summer break in a nutshell...
(I attempted to draft and publish this letter at least two or three times, beginning during the summer and then again upon my return to Costa Rica, only to have the power go out on me, run out of time, or to discover that my updated draft did not save... and therefore I never got around to completing the post and publishing it until now... I know that it is LONG overdue, and updates about the last couple months since I've been back in Costa Rica will be forthcoming.)


Over the summer, I fully intended to update on a weekly basis with just a picture or two summarizing that week's travels and adventures. But I was all over the place (spent time in, count them, at least nine different states, 11 including long layovers and sleeping in airports!). Literally coast to coast, but also in more ways than just geographically. And I opted to spend time with the people and in the places I was at instead of in front of a computer screen. Which I wouldn't trade for anything. But for those of you who would like to receive a summary of what I did during my vacation summertime Stateside, this this blogpost intends to offer an explanation.


Time in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon-
  • Sister's high school graduation
  • Many bachelorette parties and weddings of dear friends and happy reunions
  • Traveling back and forth across the state multiple times to and from Spokane, making stops to spend time with various people in between-Moses Lake, Bellingham area, San Juan Islands, Seattle, etc.
  • Visiting with family on vacation in WA and OR
  • Spending much time on the west side with friends and family: hiking, mountain biking, enjoying PNW summer weather on lakes and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, a little bit of lavender, 
  • ...and more!
East Coast Adventures-
  • Visiting and traveling with my dear friend and former college roomie Jessi (and Kari, other former-roomie, joined us a few days later), including some time at her fire station and going out on calls and playing with the "toys" there.
  • 150th Anniversary Reenactment festival of the Battle of Bull Run in Manassas, Virgina
  • Touring Philly in a day (think National Treasure-esque historic monuments)
  • NYC in a day (from Trinity Church to Ground Zero, to Staten Island and the Statue of Liberty, to seeing Mama Mia! on Broadway, to stopping in at FAO Schwarz on our way back from Central Park to Grand Central Station... we squeezed it all in, plus more!)
  • Camping and roadtripping through Amish country
  • Gettysburg battlegrounds
  • Beach time in Delaware
  • Lots of driving through Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York
  • Got to be delayed by electric storms on my return flight and spent a cold, uncomfortable night in the Atlanta, Georgia Int'l airport. SO. MUCH. FUN.
I arrived back home at the Whitworth Costa Rica Center (CRC) early in the morning on August 17, after an all-night red-eye flight. Stories and updates to come!


See some snapshots of my summer in the following albums:
Album #1
Album #2

6 comments:

  1. Not a word about me? So unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, who exactly is commenting from ASWU?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that ASWU account was me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How DARE you still use the ASWU eblogger account, JBoyden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just for the record, I mentioned Portland in that update. So technically you were included in that. If I had mentioned EVERYONE I saw/had a meal or spent time with, this post would have gone on for MILES. And that would have diminished the point of trying to be concise and keeping the blog to a readable length.

    But here is a "word" about my dear, dear friend Josh:
    * While I was in Portland the day before I flew back to CR, I saw the famous Josh Boyden and his brother Nate (who should totes consider coming to study abroad at the CRC next spring '12!!). Josh is the best. We had dinner at this pub... that I cannot remember the name of at present. We drank ales and ate cheap food. Nate was allowed to order a cheap appetizer without purchasing an alcoholic bevvy to go with it. Our waiter was nice. We talked a lot about random things and liked the coasters. And the hand dryers in the bathrooms. Josh is the best. I am so glad I got to see my friend Josh while we were in the same place at the same time (brief as it was). Hopefully he will come down to CR to visit while I'm living and working here, because Josh is the best. I miss Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That should be your next blog entry. Just an entire post about how awesome I am.

    ReplyDelete