Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fiesta de disfraces

Costume party! (disfraz=costume/disguise) Tonight we celebrated the birthdays of Antonio (one of our host family fathers) and one of our students, Josh (a.k.a. Josúe), the host son of Antonio. We went to their house and had a super fun time playing games, dancing, and talking with the family members, neighbors, and family friends. The host mom, Silvia, is great at organizing games in Tica host mom fashion :)

The party had a costume theme (since it's so close to Halloween). So I baked some goodies to bring to the fiesta--photos to come tomorrow, since we have another little party mañana up here on campus. Anyway, the point of this blog post is to detail one of the games we played at the party. It's the game where you have a card with the name of someone taped to your back and you have to ask yes or no questions to guess the name.

Here was mine:
(Please ignore the scary red eye)
Here's how the guessing dialogue played out for the name that was on my back:
Me- ¿Soy una persona? (Am I a person?)
Josh- Sí (Yes).
Me- ¿Soy una mujer? (Am I a woman?)
Josh- No.
Me- ¿Soy un hombre? (Am I a man?)
Josh- (Scoffs) Pues, si no eres mujer... (Well, if you're not a woman...)
Me- ¿Soy viejo? (Am I old?)
Josh- No mucho (Not really).
Me- ¿Soy joven? (Am I young?)
Josh- No tanto (Not so much).
Me- ¿Estoy vivo? (Am I alive?) ¿Estoy muerto? (Am I dead?)
Josh- Muerto (Dead).
(I was getting impatient with the whole yes or no-only answer thing at this point.)
Me- ¿Soy una persona famosa? (Am I a famous person?)
Josh- Sí.
Me- ¿Soy un o una cantante? (Am I a singer?)
Josh- Sí.
Me- ¿Soy negro? (Am I black?)
Josh- Um, pues, um I don't know... no sé... sí?? (Um, well, um I don't know... yes?) 

People around us who are listening to the dialogue laugh.

Me- ¿Soy blanco? (Am I white?)

People around us continue laughing.

Josh- Um, no sé, um I don't know.... sí?? (Um, I don't know... yes?) 
Me- ¿Cómo es que soy negro Y blanco? (How is it that I'm black AND white?)
      ¡¡No puede serrrr...!! (It cannot be!!!!)

      ¡¡¡Oh yo sé, yo sé!!! ¡¡Soy Michael Jackson!! (Oh I know, I know! I'm Michael Jackson!)


THRILLER!

(BTW, when you look at the above photo, you're probably wanting to know who I went dressed as. I intended to be the children's story character Pippi Longstocking (just google image search to get a visual idea), but got called Wendy a lot... as in Wendy from the fast-food restaurant Wendy's... because Heredia has this Wendy's restaurant by the mall in front of which is this scary-looking gigantic blow-up inflatable Wendy figure/dol. Hence, Heredianos recognized me more as Wendy than as Pippi.)


I am Pippi Longstocking and Sara is a unicorn (es obvio, duh!).
David, Nanda, Josh (Josúe, cumpleañero birthday boy), Manuel (a neighbor host dad), me (Pippi)

No comments:

Post a Comment