Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Lasts"

Definition of "Lasts": my last time of experiencing certain events, notably the more frequented places and trips we lead our students on through CRC academic study trips.

For instance, last month, I took my "last" trip to Nicaragua. (Which I still have yet to blog about, I'm aware. I'm gonna be honest, it's just too overwhelming.)
This picture serves as my Nicaragua teaser image.
This last weekend, I took my "last" trip to the community of Tárcoles, on the Pacific Coast, with the six Azusa Pacific students we are hosting at the CRC this summer for 9 weeks. This "last" trip was filled with a crocodile tour, a quinceañera, fishing for blowfish (not purposefully), swimming on a beautiful beach, tide pooling hunting in our private beach cove, watching crabs scatter, and more.
¡Hola, cocodrilo!
Quinceañeara
Fiesta time at the quinceañeara
Fishing at Tárcoles.
Holding a headless shark. NBD.
Catching a stingray...
Catching yet ANOTHER puffed up blow fish.
Beautiful Playa Limoncito.
Having "lasts" of everything makes me want to photograph and video moments that I have to remind myself are unique to my Costa Rican reality as a 24/7 student life coordinator here at the CRC. I have to remind myself that these daily deluges and thunderstorms, with lightning and thunder right overhead are not normal occurrences elsewhere. The things that I enjoy (or don't enjoy, for that matter) that I will somehow oddly miss... the power outages, the goteras (leaks), the nuances of living in a cloud rainforest and driving two hours to get to a tropical, humid and sweltering hot beach climate with breezes off the ocean.
This. Is. Costa. Rica.
Pura Vida.


P.S. My colleague and dear friend, Bean, wrote this entry on her blog last week, as her end of service here at the CRC is approaching quickly (she leaves June 14). I am experiencing some similar feelings and share in some of her sentiment. And I feel her words are heartfelt and worth recommending the read to all my blog readers. Thus I share with you the link to the post: http://thebeankielbon.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/cat-got-your-tongue/

1 comment:

  1. First, the hola cocodrilo pic looks a little ... dangerous?
    And second, we just had monsoon rains this week too! Yay for being in a different climate.

    ReplyDelete