While I think I could do without the physical sickness that travel brings
(nausea, vertigo, and compression in my head from all the elevation changes),
or also the stressors brought on by TSA, figuring out flight connections and
gate changes, checking in, etc. there are too many things to enjoy during the
journey…
1. There is no way one
should be bored in an airport these days. Between the aid of technological devices (be
they laptops, iPods, iPads, cell phones/PDAs/smart phones, Kindles—in their
various capacities, and more!), in addition to good, old-fashioned books and
just plain-old people watching, how can you complain of boredom!? I figured I
would share some of my observations from today’s travel…
- Man at security, as I'm taking off my shoes and coat and sending my
jacket and properly separated liquids through the security x-ray machine: (very
energetically and bubbly for 5:30am) "Good morning, miss! Are you ready to
step right up here and go through this archway now? I like your braid (my hair is
side-braided across my head). Come on through now. That's right. Congrats. You
passed." I love happy, jovial people like that, so I let him know that his
energy and amiability was appreciated.
- Ticketing desk airline agent: "Those at Gate 26 who are flying
to LA: This flight is TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY full! I am surveying the waiting
room for the Alaska flight, operated by Horizon, heading to LAX , and I quickly
observe a number of 'carry on' items that will not fit in either the overhead
compartments or under the seat in front of you. You may not take a roller carry-on
in addition to an oversized duffel, which WILL NOT fit under the seat at your
feet. Only one carry-on is allowed in the overhead compartments. [Shooting
deathly laser-bullets from his eyes in the direction of specific perpetrators
sitting around me.] Before boarding, please check your bags and make sure that
this little neon tag is attached to them, so that you may collect your baggage
at plane side when you reach LA..." When looking around, sure enough,
there were several people with oversized "carry-on" luggage PLUS
duffel bags, in addition to personal items of purses and backpacks. Thank
goodness I'm only carrying on a small backpack, which can be stored at my feet!
And hopefully my one carry-on sized piece of checked luggage makes all my
connections (it has sharp tools in it that I'm taking back to CR for the art
students, so I had to check it).
- In the San Jose, CA airport (heading out on my first of 3 flights
today): the emergency-only exit door by my gate was opened repeatedly, thus
repeatedly setting off the obnoxious buzzing sound and accompanying flashing
alarm. Just like our alarms at the CRC. Nice noise at 6:00am. Always. :)
- Conversations overheard in the airport during travels today… (This is
a fun game to play that I hope to continue recording in future travels.
Conversations taken out of context are the best.)
- “You know, they won’t eat you if you wash your whole entire body with
that sterile, unscented medical soap bar every day for a week before you come.”
- “That is NOT nice. Do not hit your sister. Say sorry Asher.”
- “’Da lady don’t fit in ‘da wheelchair!"
- “Outta the way, large passengers coming through!” (It was one of
those airport vehicles with the beeping and flashing lights that go through the
middle of airport aisles from gate to gate.)
- “…Asher, over here!”
- “Caden, what are you doing here? Don’t you have classes today?” To
which the reply was, “I figured if I was going to play hookie, I should do
something rad.”
- “I was like one of the originals of a Fortune 500 business… you know,
when there were just 180 of us. I left a decade later, when there were 35,000.
People think I’m still one of the young guys. But I’m 40 now. But I was one of
the originals, ya know? …Now I recruit employees and I like to get the ‘normal
people’ unnerved and, like totally out of their minds. I like totally freak
them out by telling them things like how we have cameras in every room of the
offices—we really do. So that way people know when their friends have checked
in to work and then it’s like the party can begin in the office, ya know?”
- “Asher, we’re boarding!”
- “Have I been out of the country for three days? What does that mean?!
I haven’t even been IN the country yet! I’ve never been there before!”
- “I can’t hear him over the buzz in my ears. What did he say? They
don’t have bottled water? I need water with my frozen yogurt!”
- “65 days? Yes, that’s within 90 days."
- “Just go around those people who are unprepared and holding up the
line. Yes, I’m the ticketing agent, I have the authority to let people cut when
they are waiting in line behind slow-pokes.”
- “This is a legally-binding contract, but it also represents spirit.
You cannot force it.”
2. Boarding planes is
never boring:
- Transport between terminals: buses, trains, elevators, or your own
two, rapidly-moving feet. Sometimes such a confusion. Out of security,
international or domestic?, back in through security (security is a entirely
different topic, for another post)
- Boarding priority: Goldmember access, priority passenger, VIP,
disabled, those with children, unaccompanied minors, first class, Zone
1/2/3/4/5 etc., unless there is a rush to ensure my carry on a place in the
overhead bin, I’d just as soon wait to board a plane and cramp my sitting room.
Why not wait to be the last passenger on?
- You have to love boarding planes on the tarmac. Usually the
puddle-jump flights. The crisp, chilly air of a 6:40am commuter flight to LAX,
just outside of the terminal.
3. There is no way you
can get bored on the flight itself:
- People: especially the ones in your immediate vicinity—whether it’s…
- Entertaining and cute children (or fussy kiddos or crying babies)
- Nice neighbors who strike up interesting and engaging conversation (I
met an international businessman on my flight from San Jose, CA to LAX this
morning) poorly-behaved older travelers (complaining, nothing’s ever right,
etc.)
- Conversations overheard of those nearby, unfortunately sometimes
including loud talkers (Phoenix to Costa Rica, I got to hear—even through the
buffer of my ear buds—the various conversations of a man two rows in front of
me. Hours of conversation to be overheard—however interesting it may be—I am
hearing it whether I want to or not!)
- Smelly people (a man on one of my flights today had the worst breath
emanating from his open mouth as he slept. Thank goodness it was only a one
hour flight from LA to Phoenix, as it was hard to tolerate the smell of his
reeking clothing in such near proximity)
- Getting your seat throttled or thrashed or kicked or abused by the person sitting behind you--oftentimes by a child, but also by adults.
- Look at the backs of people’s heads in front of you; you’ll be
surprised to connect their voices and then their faces as they turn around,
walk down the aisle to go to the bathroom, or collect their luggage from
overhead bins at the end of the flight.
- When it all boils down
and you’ve landed and are leaving the plane, bidding your fellow travelers
farewell, just take a deep breath to cleanse and sigh out all that was
obnoxious of fellow passengers who, while sometimes you wish you could boot
them out the emergency exit at 32,000 feet, really are entertaining…
 |
I tried to discreetly snap a couple images with my iPod
of a situation I found comical while in the
San José, Costa Rica airport
upon my departure on Feb. 15.
(I'm not sure who was more comical
of the character subjects in these images...) |
 |
Can you see the hippie in the background,
to the left of this lady reading her Kindle? |
- Scenery!
- I love clouds! Cloud formations are fascinating! At some point in my life, I want to study Nephology.
- Crop circles, deserts, rivers and lakes and other bodies of water, mountains
and volcanoes, cities (you can observe a lot about urban planning!), and more.
New lands are entertaining!
- I could look out of an airplane window for hours without tiring!
Forget the people that surround you—even if it’s a famous politician, hippies,
a team of incredibly ripped and good-looking latino professional futbol
players, a businessman Joe Schmoe, an endearing elderly couple, a woman with
her dog, or a supermodel—the scenery out of a plane window is always
breath-taking and astounding. I don’t think I can ever get bored looking out of
a plane window.
- And then, when all else fails, take a snooze or if you’re antsy, pretend like
you have to go to the bathroom and just hang out at the back of the airplane
(or if you’re super bold, go up to the bathrooms in the front) and perform the
recommended stretches and exercises that are often found in the seatback
pockets during trans-oceanic or international flights.
 |
| Phoenix is so clean cut upon aerial observation. Suburbia! |
 |
| Mountains just outside of Phoenix. |
 |
| More of the geography just outside of Phoenix. |
 |
| Crops, as seen in flight somewhere in between Phoenix and Texas. |
 |
| More crops. |
 |
What I am guessing to be reservoirs and/or mining in Arizona area?
(Also see image below.) |
 |
Dusky skies, as seen over the puffy clouds,
about an hour before landing in San José, Costa Rica this evening. |
 |
Sunset as seen over the puffy clouds,
about an hour before landing in San José, Costa Rica this evening. |
 |
Sunset as seen over the puffy clouds,
about an hour before landing in San José, Costa Rica this evening. |
 |
| LAX tarmac/runway... or was this in Phoenix? Can't remember. It's all a blur. |
 |
Phoenix, I think? Either taking off or landing.
(They all sort of run together, and I can't really see these small images
well enough before publishing to write this caption.) |
Maybe I should have blog posts dedicated to
the observations of air travel. So many people understand, sympathize, and
rejoice in shared nuances—commonplace or not!
Clouds clouds clouds :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, that alarm was very obnoxious. I thought you meant IN the airplane. But either way, bu hao!